.

...

Friday, July 9, 2010

Tackling my Craft Room

This week I have been spending a bit of time each day in my craft room, as it is the most cluttered room in my house, cleaning out the stuff I am done with and throwing away trash.  I have to say, the room looks much better, even though I have not regained nearly as much space as I had hoped to at this time.  There was not very much trash in the  room, just scrap paper from the fax machine, but I did manage to fill two large black garbage bags with stuff to give away.  Most of it was clothing that I had been give -- second hand.  Some of it was acrylic yarn that I have had, since I was a kid, that I am just not going to use.  Then, there was the garlands of artificial flowers that I use to use for decorating.  Part of me wanted to keep them -- sentimental value, but then I realized, they have been moved from place to place for more than five years now, only occasionally in use.  Why not pass them on to someone who will enjoy them? 

Observation on Uncluttering:

This last week I have noticed that it is not possible to clean an overly cluttered room all at once.  After taking out a certain amount of stuff, the room needs a rest.  The energy of the room needs to regroup and calm down.  I think this is why uncluttering an area is difficult.  It is more than the decision making, it is the stirred up energy of the room that creates tension.  Opening the windows wide and playing peaceful music does help, but the room still needs a break. 

Dust and dirt seem to stagnate the energy in a room.  Cleaning out the dust and dirt that is easy to access, before beginning to sort can relive the stuffy feeling.  Continuing to clean as a space is cleared helps the place to feel fresh.

Anything that causes a feeling of guilt is best let go of.  Why hang on to something negative?  One of the things I let go was a little picture frame I was given as a baby shower gift, before our first was born.  It was cute, and I had used it, but I never really liked it.  But it was a gift, so I had kept it, until this week.  I know that it will never be missed, as it has been on the floor of the craft room for months now, and I know the guilty feeling I felt each time I saw it better off gone.  Trying to talk myself into liking something is not worth the hassle.  If something is not going to be enjoyed, it is not worth keeping.

Today is my last day of looking for junk and give away stuff.  Next week I will begin sorting through the things left in there, storing what I decide to keep in an accessible manner.  My hope is to have a working craft room by the end of next week.

No comments: