.

...

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Motivational Tip # 1

Pick up and deal with five things, or groups of things, from each room in your house. 

Five seems to be an ideal number for me.  I have tried ten, and often get distracted before I am done.  I have tried three, and that works too, but does not make the impact on the room that I wish to make.  Five gets me moving and makes a small difference through out my home.

When I run out of obvious things to deal with, I begin cleaning.  When there is nothing that needs to be cleaned, I begin removing clutter, one surface, drawer or shelf at a time.

This last week I have been busy with family visiting and have not had time for my regular routines.  By taking a few minutes to pick up and put away or throw away five things from each room, each morning, I have kept on top of things and even improved some areas that I had been neglecting.

In the afternoon, after laying the kids down for thier naps, I have been going throughout the house again, taking care of three things this time around and doing a load of laundry. 

I find that working in all parts of the home helps to keep a balance.  When I work to improve just one room, the house feels unbalanced and my family will compensate by creating messes in the other parts of the home.  This can be very frustrating, but it is a natural reaction.  This is why making real change is much more affective than going on a cleaning spree.  This tip helps to make real change.

No comments: