.

...

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Weekly Challenge: August 23-28, 2010

Find 75 personal possessions to get rid of. 

If you don't have much, this could be challenging.  If it is too much for you, choose a number that suits you, but, I have a feeling that if you are reading this, then you have plenty to get rid of.

The idea for this challenge came from this article, on the subject of only owning 75 personal possessions.  Now, I am really wondering, do these minimalists count necessary hygiene items, like tooth paste and toilet paper in this equation?  Or do those fall into necessities, not possessions?  I suppose a bit of research on my part could quickly answer that question...

I know that when I begin decluttering I often run into the road block of, "This could be useful."  Or, "Good money was paid for that, wouldn't it be wasteful to to eliminate it from my life?"  As I was contemplating these questions, I came across this article.  It was encouraging to see that I am not alone, but that keeping things that are unwanted is just as, if not even more so, wasteful.

For me, the rules of this little challenge are going to be simple:  If I don't like it, if I don't need it or want it, it is going out.  If it something that I would rather sell than give away, then I will list it in our local paper this week.  I am going to be keeping a list here, and you can too, or share a link to your list on your blog.
  • 2 magazines
  • 23 old, used up, school books
  • 14 pieces of clothing

No comments: